Make this pot roast your own by featuring your favorite seasonal produce such as fresh pear, fennel, or turnips.
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large carrots
- 2 large Granny Smith apples
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 large onion
- 1 (14 oz) pkg cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- Season beef with kosher salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a heavy-bottom skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the meat on both sides until brown, about 3–4 min. per side.
- Meanwhile, chop the carrots, apples, celery, and onion into 1-inch chunks. Place in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker along with the cubed squash. Set browned meat on top of the cut vegetables.
- Whisk together apple cider, Dijon mustard, and garlic and pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 6–8 hours. Let pot roast cool to room temperature. Transfer to a container and place in the freezer. To reheat, thaw in the refrigerator the night before and bring to a boil in a large pot, adding water as needed.
- September 2017